Our building is now open! See our Reopening Update for details.
As a public entity, E.D. Locke Public Library follows all current Dane County Public Health Orders as they relate to the COVID-19 pandemic. The current Public Health Order #16 is set to expire on June 2, 2021. While face masks will no longer be required at that time, the library strongly encourages individuals to use their discretion about wearing a mask and make an appropriate decision based on their individual circumstances and comfort level. Click here for CDC mask guidance.
- Please respect other individuals' choice to wear a mask. Disposable masks will continue to be available for patrons.
- Library staff are encouraged to wear a mask when interacting with a member of the public.
- The library will continue to encourage physical distancing inside our building and during any library programs.
- Curbside pickup is still available by appointment. Schedule online or call 608-838-9030.
- If you are feeling ill in any way, we ask you to show care for the community by not coming into the library or attending programs until you are feeling healthy again.
- Library facilities and programs are open to all individuals regardless of vaccination status. We encourage everyone who is eligible to get vaccinated to help protect our community.
While we are optimistic about the current direction of the pandemic, we will continue to monitor the situation and adjust our policies as needed.
WE ARE NOW OPEN! Some services and resources are still limited or unavailable and programming will remain virtual for now. Visit our Reopening Update page for full details.
Starting June 1, we are returning to our pre-pandemic hours:
Monday - Thursday 9:00 AM - 8:00 PM
Friday - Saturday 9:00 AM - 5:30 PM
Sunday 12:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Need to print something? Visit our Mobile Printing Service page to send us documents to print and pick up at the library or using our curbside service.
Curbside Pickup Service is still available and you can book your appointment online!
Monday - Thursday 2:00 PM - 6:00 PM
Friday - Saturday 2:00 PM - 4:00 PM
Find lots of book suggestions on our Reading Recommendations page.
Wifi is available outside the building, including the parking lot and Discovery Park. No account or password needed, just connect to the "Library-Wireless" network.
We are now fine free! No overdue fines for most items checked out at our library. Check out our Fine Free page for full details.
Watch for further updates on our website and make sure you follow us on social media (links at the bottom of this page) and sign up for our e-newsletter for all the latest news.
Library Services and Resources
- Curbside Pickup Service
- Request a Book/Item Bundle
- Apply for a web-only library card
- Explore our Online Resources (digital books, audiobooks, magazines, crafting, languages, genealogy, and more)
- Visit our Events page to see what events will be offered virtually
- Mobile Printing Service
- Visit our Things To Do From Home page for ideas to help pass the time
- Read or sign up for our E-Newsletter
- Read the latest issue of BookPage
- Get permission to pick up another person's holds
- Follow us on social media for more updates, information, and resources (click the icons at the bottom of this page)
The library is following CDC and Dane County Public Health recommendations for COVID-19 safety, including:
- Wearing masks and washing/sanitizing hands often or wearing gloves.
- Disinfecting library surfaces and equipment frequently.
- Maintaining appropriate social distances between staff members and patrons.
- Limiting the number of staff in the building at any given time to make social distancing easier.
Frequently Asked Questions
Appointments allow us to prepare your materials ahead of time, deliver them securely, and prevent long lines or wait times. We are currently scheduling 3 appointments in every 15 minute window, so our limited staff is busy organizing and delivering materials and answering phone calls. If your scheduled time no longer works for you or you have an urgent situation, please give us a call and we will do our best to fit you in.
If you would like to pick up someone else's holds, please fill out our Holds Pickup Authorization Form and drop it off at the library (or in the book drop if the building is closed).
We are no longer quarantining items, but due to volume and staffing availability, items may not be checked in the same day they are returned. When they are checked in, we backdate your items to the date they were returned and we do not charge overdue fines for most items checked out at our library. See our Fine Free page for full details on our fine policy.
You can apply for a web-only account by filling out this form. This gives you access to all our online resources (digital ebooks, audiobooks, magazines, Consumer Reports, Ancestry, Transparent Language, CreativeBug, and more). If you would like to place holds on physical items, ask for an application form at our main desk. You will need a photo ID and proof of your current address.
Our meeting room is currently not available for patron use. One study room is available. Capacity is limited to 2 people and time is limited to 1 hour. Reserve by calling the library at 608-838-9030 or stop at the main desk.
Please see our Tax Forms page. Forms are available in the library as well as the entrance to the McFarland Municipal Center. Additional forms can be printed from our computers or your own device for 10 cents/page.
Yes, please bring them to the main desk or call 608-838-9030 to make arrangements. At this time, we do not know when our Friends of McFarland Library used book sales will resume.